The State of Jones: The Small Southern County that Seceded from the Confederacy (Doubleday, 2009)
Those of you who have read my three-part review of State of Jones, by Sally Jenkins and John Stauffer, might want to visit Kevin Levin’s blog, Civil War Memory, where he allowed the authors to respond to my reviews. Ms. Jenkins and Professor Stauffer open by accusing me of attacking their work in order to promote my own, and end by accusing me of launching a “turf war.” In between, in a long, long, dissertation on sources, they seriously misrepresent my work, suggesting that I have willfully distorted the history of the Free State of Jones in my own book and thus failed to produce “good scholarship.” Be sure and read the many comments that follow their post, which include remarks by readers, moderator Kevin Levin, the authors, and myself.
I stand by my three-part review of their book, and hope to get back to blogging here about the Civil War histories of North Carolina, Mississippi, and Texas very soon. I’m excited that my new book continues to move toward production, and I will be announcing its new title very soon.
Vikki Bynum, Moderator, Renegade South
RELATED ARTICLES AND POSTS:
1. John Stauffer responds (again) to my review of Jenkins and Stauffer’s State of Jones on Kevin Levin’s blog, Civil War Memory, August 24, 2009: http://cwmemory.com/2009/08/24/john-stauffer-responds/#comment-10678
2. Prof. David S. Reynolds Reviews Jenkins and Stauffer’s State of Jones for The New York Times, August 16, 2009: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/books/review/Reynolds-t.html
3. Kevin Levin, Civil War Memory: “A Statement about the State of Jones Dispute ” http://cwmemory.com/2009/07/30/a-statement-about-the-state-of-jones-dispute/
4. “Civil War Fires Up Literary Shoot-out,” by Michael Cieply, New York Times, July 30, 2009, on The State of Jones vs The Free State of Jones controversy: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/movies/30jones.html?_r=2&hpw
5. Vikki Bynum, “Confessions of a Small-Town Texas Gadfly.” Renegade South
Categories: The Free State of Jones